The purpose of this policy is to describe the way that we collect, store, use, and protect data that can be associated with you or another natural person.
This policy applies to you if you are:
- a visitor to our website; or
- use our online LiveChat; or
- contact or access any of our social media channels i.e. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube; or
- contact UASA via our WhatsApp digital channel or
- a member of UASA-The Union
Personal data includes:
- information that we collect automatically when you visit our website;
- information collected on registration or application for membership;
- information collected during our live chat sessions and social media platforms such as Facebook Instagram Twitter;
- the personal data may include the following:
- gender, pregnancy status, marital status, nationality, ethnic or social origin.
- age, disability, language, date of birth.
- education, medical, financial, criminal or employment history.
- trade union membership.
- identifying numbers, e-mail addresses, physical addresses, telephone numbers.
- bank account details.
- Correspondence sent to UASA that is implicitly or explicitly private or confidential.
Personal data excludes:
- information that has been made anonymous so that it does not identify a specific person;
- permanently de-identified information that does not relate or cannot be traced back to you specifically.
- non-personal statistical information collected and compiled by us.
You are compelled to accept all the terms of this policy when you make use of any of our services, or our website. You may not proceed to use any of our services, or our website if you do not accept this policy.
You may not proceed to use our services if you are under the age 18 years or do not have legal capacity to conclude legally-binding contracts.
By accepting this policy, you are deemed to have read, understood, accepted, and agreed to be bound by all of its terms.
You may only send us your own personal data or the personal data of another person whose permission you have in writing to do so.
We may change the terms of this policy at any time by updating this web page.
We will notify you of any changes by placing a notice in a prominent place on the website, indicating the date that they were last updated. If you do not agree with the amendments, then you are compelled to discontinue using the website and/or services offered by UASA-The Union. In the event that you continue to use the website or our services following notification of a change to the terms, the changed terms will apply to you and you will be deemed to have accepted those updated terms.
Once you register on our website, you will no longer be anonymous to us. You will provide us with certain personal data.
This personal data may include:
- your name and surname;
- identity number;
- your email address;
- your telephone number;
- your postal address or street address; and
- your username and password
From a web browser
Please note that other websites visited before entering our website might place personal data within your URL during a visit, and we have no control over such websites. Accordingly, a subsequent website that collects URL information may log some personal data.
We may place small text files called ‘cookies’ on your device when you visit our website. These files do not contain personal data, but they do contain a personal identifier allowing us to associate your personal data with a certain device. These files serve a number of useful purposes for you, including:
- tailoring our website’s functionality to you personally by letting us remember your preferences;
- improving how our website performs;
- Helping us deliver targeted advertising where appropriate in compliance with the applicable laws.
Your internet browser generally accepts cookies automatically, but you can often change this setting to stop accepting them. You may also delete cookies manually. However, by not accepting cookies or deleting them this will prevent you from accessing certain aspects of our website where cookies are necessary.
Our website may contain electronic image requests (called a single-pixel gif or web beacon request) that allow us to count page views and to access cookies. Any electronic image viewed as part of a web page (including an ad banner) can act as a web beacon. Our web beacons do not collect, gather, monitor or share any of your personal data. We merely use them to compile anonymous information about our website.
You may also provide additional information to us on a voluntary basis (optional information). This includes content or products that you decide to upload or download from our website or when you enter competitions, respond to surveys, or otherwise use the optional features and functionality of our website.
We may monitor and record any telephone calls that you make to us.
Purpose for collection
We may use or process any services information or optional information that you provide to us for the purposes that you indicated when you agreed to provide it to us.
Processing includes gathering your personal data, disclosing it, and combining it with other personal data. We generally collect and process your personal data for various purposes, including:
- marketing purposes – such as pursuing lawful related marketing activities;
- business purposes – such as internal audit, business planning, and joint ventures with other service providers
- legal purposes – such as handling claims, complying with regulations, or pursuing good governance.
We may use your service information for the purposes described above and to:
- remember your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you access the website;
- monitor website usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages accessed; and
- track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities in connection with your usage of the website.
Consent to collection
We will obtain your consent to collect personal data:
- in accordance with applicable law;
- when you provide us with any registration information or optional information.
We may share your personal data with:
- our service providers under contract who help supply certain products or help with parts of our operations, including marketing, as permitted by law;
- other third parties who provide us with relevant services where appropriate as permitted by law.
We may disclose your personal data as required by law or governmental audit.
We may disclose personal data if required:
- by a subpoena or court order;
- to comply with any law;
- to protect the safety of any individual or the general public; and
- to prevent violation of our terms of service.
We may disclose aggregate statistics (information about the customer population in general terms) about the personal data to advertisers or accredited service providers.
We may need to disclose personal data to our employees that require the personal data to do their jobs. These include our responsible management, human resources, accounting, audit, information technology, or other personnel. Employees will process data in ways that are consistent with the purpose for collection. Access to data containing personal information will be limited. Retention of data and cross border transfers will be done in terms of the law.
Change of ownership
In the event that we undergo a change in ownership, or a merger with, acquisition by, or sale of assets to another entity, we may assign our rights to the personal data we process to a successor, purchaser, or separate entity. We will disclose the transfer on the website. If you are concerned about your personal data migrating to a new owner, you may request us to delete your personal data.
We cannot accept any liability whatsoever for unauthorised or unlawful disclosure of your personal data by third parties who are not subject to our control.
We take the security of personal data very seriously and always do our best to comply with all applicable data protection laws. We will implement and maintain appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the security and confidentiality of personal data. We host on a secure server environment that uses a firewall and other advanced security measures to prevent interference or access from outside intruders. All personal data is securely stored in our database.
We authorize access to personal data only for those employees who require it to fulfil their job responsibilities.