When people hear that you work as a freelancer, they are envious of you. After all, what could be better than being your own boss right? However, in reality, being a freelancer has its own challenges. It is not as easy as it might seem at first glance.
Without motivation and a lot of distractions, sometimes it is just impossible to concentrate on your work and get it done properly. Many projects need to be delivered on time and most likely, you need to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Luckily, UASA, your trusted union has put together some tips and tricks to help you be more productive as a freelancer.
Define your working times
Setting a timetable gives you a sense of responsibility and makes you appreciate the time. Draw up a reasonable timetable and stick to it. Without a detailed timetable, it’s very difficult, if not impossible, to get through all your tasks and complete them satisfyingly.
Without goals, how do you measure your success?
Think about what you need to achieve, then write your goals down. They could be short-term, medium-term and long-term goals but most importantly, make sure your goals are SMART i.e.
Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time – based.
Draw up a to-do list
Make a to-do list based on the goals above and the SMART objectives. You can use a smartphone app or write it down in your notebook. A well-planned day is the key to staying focused and increases productivity.
Break up large tasks into smaller ones
While drawing up a to-do list, remember to break up big tasks into smaller more manageable ones. This will help you avoid stress and procrastination which might make the task seem overwhelming.
Here is one way to break down tasks
- Look at the big picture – Make sure you understand what the end product is supposed to look like.
- Examine the parts of the task – Figure out step-by-step what you need to do
- Think about the logical order of completing the pieces – What should you do first, second, third, etc.?
- Create a timeline for completing your tasks – Having a deadline will make you more focused on each task.
- Have a plan to help you stay on track – Put the time you will spend on the project into your schedule so that you can set aside the time for it. Stick with this plan.
- Complete your task early enough to have some time left for a final review.
One task at a time
Many people think that by accomplishing multiple tasks at once, it is possible to achieve more.
This is not true.
Being fully engaged in one task is much better as it gives the task undivided attention. Splitting your attention between several tasks leads to a decrease in quality and much productivity.
To increase your productivity, you need to exchange experiences with other freelancers from time to time. You can communicate with them on online forums, attend freelance seminars, enrol in some classes to improve your competencies, and much more.
Visit our website to get more information regarding UASA’s Independent Professional Sector and how you can legally protect yourself as a freelancer against unscrupulous clients.